If you’re in the market for a basement remodel, you’re more than likely wondering about the potential costs that come along with a project of this size. The cost of remodeling a basement is going to depend on a few factors, including the size of the basement, the extent of the renovations, and the materials you decide on.
A basement remodel typically goes one of two routes. You can opt for a completely finished basement or a partial remodel. While most people would prefer to finish their basement for increased comfort and functionality, a partial remodel can be helpful for a quick flip or resell. Regardless of your needs, Oak City Remodeling can help you achieve your basement goals.
A basement remodel in Raleigh, NC can range from $7,000 to over $32,000, but will vary significantly based on the project specifics.
What Aspects Influence The Cost Of A Basement Remodel?
Size of the Space
Arguably, the most important factor that will affect the cost of a basement remodel is the size of the space. Generally, the larger the basement, the more it will cost to remodel. This is simply because there will be more materials and labor involved, as well as an increased need for electrical, HVAC, and/or plumbing work.
The materials you opt for in your basement remodel have a lot to do with the final cost of the project. Partial basement remodels need significantly fewer materials, but you can still incur a higher cost with high-end flooring. Regardless of whether you are interested in a finished or partially remodeled basement, you’ll need to do your research on any materials that pique your interest. Additionally, consulting with your licensed contractor can help make the process even smoother.
Some of the most commonly used materials when it comes to basement renovations are:
- Drywall: Drywall is a popular choice for finishing basement walls because it is affordable and easy to install. It is also a good choice for covering up any imperfections or irregularities in the walls. Insulation is key in basement spaces as they tend to run quite cold, especially during the cooler months. By adding drywall, you can effectively make this space more warm, inviting, and cozy year round.
- Flooring: There are many options for flooring in a basement, including carpet, tile, and hardwood. Carpet is a popular choice because it is affordable and easy to install, but it may not be the most durable option. Hardwood and tile are more durable, but they can be more expensive and may require more labor to install.
- Electrical, HVAC, and Plumbing: If you’re considering adding any electrical outlets, lighting, or plumbing fixtures to your basement, these materials will be an important part of your budget. HVAC is another key aspect to consider as basements are notoriously chilly. The ability to run heat (or A/C) is immensely helpful for getting the most out of the space. Adding a restroom to the basement is a popular choice but can make a large impact on the overall cost.
- Cabinetry and Countertops: If you’re adding a kitchenette or bar area to your basement, you’ll need to budget for cabinetry and countertops. There are many options to choose from, including custom cabinetry and prefabricated countertops.
- Lighting: Proper lighting is crucial in any space, and the basement is no exception. There are countless options for lighting a basement, including recessed lighting, track lighting, and pendant lights.
- Paint or Wallpaper: A fresh coat of paint or wallpaper can go a long way in transforming the look of your basement. Once again, there are many options to choose from, including patterns, colors, and textures.
Within each of these categories, there is significant fluctuation in cost. Consult with your design specialist to select materials that work within your desired price point. At Oak City Remodeling, we have extensive experience with basement remodels and can suggest specific materials based on your design needs and budget.
Extent of the Work
As previously mentioned, opting for a partial remodel versus completely finishing the space makes a massive difference in the overall cost. While simply adding drywall and flooring can keep your project costs low, the space will inevitably be lacking in comfort and character. When opting for a finished basement, you’ll need to make important decisions regarding electrical, plumbing, and materials. Depending on the size of the space, you may also consider adding walls to create separate rooms in the basement. Ultimately, the extent of the work at hand will dictate much of the project cost.
What are the Next Steps?
Investing in a basement remodel is an excellent way to increase the value of your home and unlock a new family-friendly space. At Oak City Remodeling, we are more than happy to discuss your basement renovation plans and will gladly provide an estimate for the project. We offer in-house design services, which can help minimize some of the added costs and streamline the entire process. Additionally, we are fully licensed and insured, which is priceless for our clients’ peace of mind.
To learn more about how we can help with your next remodel project, reach out directly at (919) 283-4421 or visit our website at www.oakcityremodeling.com. Here, you can review some of our most recent projects, including attic, bathroom, and kitchen remodels.
At Oak City Remodeling, we serve the greater Raleigh area, including Cary, Apex, Garner, and Morrisville areas.